We talked recently about what the idea of a Brand is and now let’s take it a step further and talk about one of the things you can do to help shape your brand in your marketing efforts. That’s by having a strong and consistent Brand Voice.
So, What is a Brand Voice?
Your Brand Voice is the way you use language, thru style, tone and word choice, that communicates a personality of your business or organization to the people you interact with. The reason why it’s important to have a brand voice is that consistency helps people feel more comfortable and connected to your business. Imagine your business or organization is like your best friend since childhood. You can probably hear their voice and certain phrases they say in your mind right now. Now imagine they went away to the UK for six months and came back with an accent. Yes, it would probably be good for a few laughs, but it would also probably make you feel a little uneasy and like maybe you don’t know as well anymore. Every time you use different language or style of writing when you communicate with people on your business social media accounts, that’s kind of what’s happening. They can’t get to know you because you keep showing up with a different accent and it’s like meeting a new person every single time.
Since a business isn’t a person and since a lot of times you might have multiple people managing your social media accounts or your personal voice is different than your business voice, it is in your best interest to spend some time and plan out what is your brand voice. Plus, you want to make sure to write it down for future reference!
Tips for Planning Your Brand Voice
- Write out a list of the adjectives that fit your brand voice – Check Out Some Positive Adjectives
- Identify your top keywords you would like to see people use when talking about your business
- Decide what level of you will be writing for – Remember that a lower level of literacy is recommended
- Word Length – Longer words increase the level of literacy needed
- Sentence Length – Longer or complex sentences also increases the level of literacy needed
- Decide on your choice of pronouns
- Company name, We, I
- You, Customers, Clients
- Decide where you stand on abbreviations and contractions
- Decide how you feel about emoticons/emoji’s – 🙂 😉 😛
- Write it all down!
If you need some help, don’t hesitate to reach out!